Tuesday, October 8, 2013









Its amazing how fast time goes here! People always say that the mission goes really fast, but its also really hard at first. Don't get me wrong, it's been hard, but not too bad! I really enjoy and love it. The mission has really treated me well. It's definitely pretty hard concidering that we are opening Enschede, but things are starting to take shape. Of course, I dont know any other different mission style other than opening, because it's all ive done, but it has been different than what I thought it would be! We are always trying to figure out the best ways to do things, and we find ourselves always figuring out what to do! Thanks to the spirit. Conference was great, especially to help us. The members hear needed to hear that they need to step it up. We need their help! They needed something to fire them up, and I hope that this does the trick. 
Of course, last week was a great week! We were really pumped to watch general conference all week. On Friday, we went to Esthers house to teach her tithing. This is like the last thing we need to teach her. We were really worried about this topic, because she's told us before how all the churches in africa only want your money. We taught her very carefully, and she accepted it really well! She told us that she doesnt work, but asked how she can donate anyway and that caught us completely off guard! We taught her fasting, and offered to fast with her on Sunday for the exam that she is taking on Thursday. This exam decides whether or not she can get a passport or something so it's been stressing her out! She was really excited to fast. On Saturday, we went to her house and she made food for us, we watched the Saturday morning session of conference live at about 6pm, then started our fast for Sunday. This was an incredible experience. It is so different watching conference here, but I felt as if I was at home. The spirit was so strong in her house during conference. It felt so close to home, the only difference was that I had a 51 year old black lady sitting on my right, and a 56 year old dutch man on my left. I guess thats pretty different then home haha. It will be exciting this week! Her baptism is at 3 on Saturday :)
On Sunday, we woke up and went straight to Apeldoorn, about an hour away from Hengelo. We watched the Priesthood session at the Stake Conference. This was in Dutch, so naturally, I didnt get anything out of it except for Home Teaching is important.. haha. I will have to rewatch it soon in English. After this, we watched the Saturday Afternoon Session, and this was great. Then later we watched the Sunday Morning session live at 6pm. It was so weird knowing that you all at home were watching the same thing as me, but it was morning for you, and dark for me! We didnt get home until about midnight last night because there was construction on the rail lines, so we had a mess getting home with busses and different trains. General Conference was unreal though. I loved it. 
This week, we are moving into our new apartment in Enschede! It is probably the nicest apartment in the mission. We are really lucky! It's right in the middle of the city in the centrum by all of the cool stores. Its really fun. That will be nice. Transfers are already next week though, so hopefully me and Elder Alston stay together for another transfer in Enschede. Anything can happedn though! I will find out next Sunday! 
This has been a great week, and I have learned a lot. I love street contacting people and knocking doors as well. It's really hard with my limited dutch, and my astounding akwardness, but it seems to go alright :) Elder Alston helps me a lot. I'm really loving my mission so far! 
My spiritual topic of the week is on Gifford Nelson's talk. Of Course. Go Cougs... jk. but really! He gave a great talk. I want you guys to take his advice and 
 1. Pray to bring someone closer to the gospel everyday.
 2. Pray for missionaries in your area and their investigators by name, everday.
 3. Invite a friend to an activity in or out of your house.
The topic for conference had a lot to do with member missionaries. It really is true. The Lord is hastening His work, and I see this first hand. We NEED you. We need the members. It is so important. You can justify and say "Well, we live in Utah, it will all be taken care of" But I dont know if you know this, but Utah is the highest baptizing mission in the world. There are always people to teach. Go ahead, try this. Be a missonary. Especially my cousins. Jake Lamb, Seth Lamb, Jaxson Miller, Bailey Miller, Andrew Lewis, Preston Lewis, and Parker, my brother. I promise you guys that if you do this, and strive to be missionaries NOW, God will bless you and make you a better missionary when your on your mission. I guarantee this. I know you all have friends who aren't members. Don't be afraid to bear your testimony. Use your English one while you have it :) I challenge you :) 

I love you all, and I'm really excited to hear from you guys! Have a great week. Be better today than you were yesterday :) 
Elder Elkins

No comments:

Post a Comment