Monday, November 25, 2013

Another Great Week in the Books!

Another Great Week in the Books!
 
Man, time goes fast. I can't believe it is already another P-Day! Time is flying by. It is really weird because I look back and realize that I have already almost been out for 4 months, and that is 4 months that I will never have back! Only 20 more months to be a missionary. These next 20 months will go fast too. Everyone only tells me that it goes faster. This transfer has gone by unbelievably fast. I cannot beleive that next week is transfers! Chances are, I get a new companion. They never keep companions together for more than two transfers. I'm being told that I will either go with a missionary one transfer older than me, my group, or younger. Either way, I'm going to be in a whole new world. This week was a good one for my Dutch. It is still not where I necessarily want it to be, but I was able to suprise myself this week! The investigators are doing well. Dhana is still Dhana. He has been investigating since I was 16, and still doesnt beleive that there is a God. We challenged him to repent of his sins because maybe that is what he is lacking. I asked him how he felt after he prayed for forgiveness, and he said Peace. I told him that feeling was from God, and we can't give ourselves that feelings. We then shared the story of Oliver Cowdery and when he was praying in D&C 6. It says "21: Behold, I am Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I am the same that came unto mine own, and mine own received me not. I am the light which shineth in darkness, and the darkness comprehendeth it not. 22: Verily, verily, I say unto you, if you desire a further witness, cast your mind upon the night that you cried unto me in your heart, that you might know concerning the truth of these things. 23: Did I not speak peace to your mind concerning the matter? What greater witness can you have than from God?" I absolutely love these scriptures. They were perfect for him because it explains that Oliver felt Peace, just as did Dhana. We dont know what more do do with him because now he has the ball, and he needs to decide what he is going to do with it. He goes back to Indonesia on Dec. 7th, so that will be sad, but I know he will be baptized one day. He needs to recognize God in his life. We think that he believes, but that he is just scared. Lillian is going well. She said that she knows that the Church is true, but that she is going to wait to be baptized in December. That is a bummer because I was really looking forward to seeing her baptism. Hopefully I will still be in Enschede next transfer! We taught a few first lessons this week and made 3 baptismal invitations. The work is going well here. We are definitely blessed.
On Tuesday, it was Alstons birthday. We went to Dinner at Esthers, cause it was also her husbands birthday! That was fun. When he dropped us off at the train station after, I looked on the ground and noticed some money rolled up. I opened it up and it was TWO 50 euro bills. About 140$ worth. So cool! We looked around and asked people if it belonged to them and asked a police officer and he told us to keep it. We split it. Such a fun night :) Wendesday, I was on exchanges with Elder Claflin. He came the same day as me so we were just two young missionaries in Enschede all day. We taught a couple lessons, had a great conversation with a man from America and his wife from Holland, and found a stray dog. This dog was so tight! He followed us everywhere and we named him Frisbee. We had to go teach a lesson to Lillian so we had to find a place for Frisbee to go. He was trying to pee and poop but he couldnt so we felt bad for him cause he hadnt eaten in forever. I asked some girls probly 12 years old to babysit my dog while I taught the lesson. They took it to the vet and found the original owner cause of a chip in the dog. So funny! That was a great day. That night, we had a dinner appointment on the border of Holland and Germany. I suprised myself this night at the appointment with my Dutch. I talked to the whole time and shared the spiritual messege. They were really impressed and thats always nice. They were amazed that my parents met in Brazil on their missions haha. I tell most people that when they ask where my parents went on missions :) Pretty funny. Friday we had a great dinner appointment with Familie Jacobs. They are great. Such an incredible home with nice things. We were talking around the dinner table and we remembered that Portugal was playing Sweden in a big soccer game that night, so the husband went to turn on the TV, but it didnt start until late, but we got permission to watch it and everything! Such a jammer. oh well, she had a parikeet and I asked about it and told her me and my best friend at home had birds too. She though that was so tight and we talked about how stupid birds are for 15 minutes haha. I knew I bought Robin for a reason ;) He husband, Br. Jacobs, is the old bishop but is not inactive and drinks. Really sad. We are working with him. Sunday was Ward Conference and I had to translate again. Really hard, once again, but its all getting better. Its just amazing that 3 months ago I knew no Dutch, but now I understand a bit and can speak it a bit! So cool. Just gotta be patient and it will all come. All is going well. We should have a great week this week and its me and Elder Alstons last week as a companionship. He has been great and we have had a lot of fun! Its pretty sad, but Its a good thing that I believe that Transfers are inspired of God. I will be where I need to be and who I need to be with next transfer! On Saturday, we went to a SinterKlaas festivel. So funny. The pictures explain it all. They have Sinterklaas on the 5th of Dec. This is when all the kids put out their shoes and they get gifts in it. This is just as big as Christmas to us. They also celebrate Christmas on the 25th and the 26th. Such a cool month here, but for the missionaries, Dec. is just a month of reflecting and seeing families together haha. There are a lot of problems here because of the Swarte Piet thing. These are the black painted elv things in my pics. They have been tradition for years and years, but not black people are saying its really racist, when in fact, its just traditions. Sad, because of the traditions, but creepy as crap. Well That is all for this week. I hope you all have a great week and I'm excited for this next week. Alles goed in Nederland! I love you all. :)
 
Elder Elkins

No comments:

Post a Comment