Wednesday, January 1, 2014

CHRISTMAS WEEK! Holy cow. 1 out of 2. Movin' on :)

I hope that you all had a Merry, Merry Christmas! It is so weird that I was in Holland for this last Christmas and you were all having a normal one in Utah, but I promise that mine was better :) Such a unique way to celebrate Christmas. Visiting members, non members, inactives, contacting, and just helping others is the only way to celebrate a REAL Christmas. Don't get me wrong, it was definitely hard, but the only cure for thinking about home is WORK. I had a great week, and I really hope that you all did too. On Monday, we had a much needed P-Day. We really just chilled around and went to stores. It was nice. Cleaned the apartment, made some plans for the week, and just had a great day. We packed our day on Tuesday full of appointments so that we wouldn't be home sick since it was Christams Eve. Wow, what a day. Woke up, studies, then went to Amsterdam for District Meeting. This was a good one, then we went straight to an appointment with an inactive member who lives alone and was going to have a sad Christmas. We were planning on watching "Joy to the World"with him, but he wasn't home. So lame. Then we went to another inactives. He is 83 years old and cannot come to church. Elder Yocom and I called him and he was so happy that we would be able to come over on Christmas Eve. He asked if we could give him the Sacrament and of course we said yes! Such an amazing experience. We watched "Joy to the World"with him and the spirit was soo strong. After this appointment, we went out and did some contacting and focused it on Christmas. Such a great idea and it really helped us focus on others Christmas's. Such a great day. At night, we went to the ward activity for Christmas Eve. Sung, ate, listened to talks, and had a great time. I really learned this Christmas that you can be homesick, feel left out because I'm here on a mission and you all are normal, and yeah, just feel like that, or I can see that feeling like that wont change anything, but helping others WILL change their Christmas for the better. This is what Elder Yocom and I did. We can pout, but that won't change our Christmas to be better. I'm glad that we both looked at it like that. At night, of course I had to open my pajamas from my parents. So fun :) On Wednesday, we woke up, we were in awe because it was Christmas, then just sat there for a minute, then opened presents from our families! So GREAT! I'm so grateful for my family and for everyone who sent me Christmas letters! Ward Members, Family, Friends, Everyone! Thank You! After this, we went to our investigators, Marcels. We also watched Joy to the World with him. He loved it! He is a lonely 53 year old at home and said that we helped him a lot for his Christmas. He said that he felt the spirit and that he loves Jesus. That was great. We are teaching him the 2nd lesson on Wednesday. Right after this, we went to Daniels house. Daniel is a member here in Amsterdam who invited us over to skype and eat with his family. Skyping was incredible! So amazing to see my amazing family. Something that I will never forget. I will also get 3 more times to skype before I get home! (gulp) Dinner was great. After Dinner, we went into Daniels man cave and watched "Dispicable me 2"! So fun! President told us we can watch a disney movie if the member invites us to. Of course Daniel invited us to! :) I love that movie! Elder Yocom and I laughed the whole time. It made it a lot easier, because yes, skyping did make me think a lot about home. haha. All is good now :) Thursday, this was 2nd Christmas in the Netherlands. They celebrate Christmas on the 25th and 26th. So weird! We just met as a zone and made 2014 Calendars for the old people in the Haarlem ward. This was great but it took so long! Right after the activity, we went to a members home to eat and celebrate with them. This was very interesting. They arent married, but they are both members. They are in their early 30s probably. Maybe late 20s. The man is a weirdo. He was being like rude to us, so of course, me being me, I talk to him about what he likes to open him up. He loves video games. He railed on my and Yocom cause we like Xbox and Fifa and he told us that we aren't video gamers. I said "Hopefully not"lol. What a great night. We became friends with him though cause we pretended like we knew about his games. So funny. On Friday, We taught Revalino. HOLY COW! So great. He has been taught everything so me and Elder Yocom went in there and railed him about why is isnt coming to church. He told us that its too long so we told him just come for freaking sacrament meeting. He says that he always feels the spirit and that he is smoking a lot less now. I told him we would fast with him on Sunday for an answer and he said thats a great idea. We did a lot of finding the rest of the day and stuff. We were going to go to Lumas and her mom Anas house, but I got a call from Ana at about 5 at night and she told me that she found out that day that she had Breast Cancer. Holy cow. What a sad night that was! We offered a blessing, but her son is being weird  and won't let her have one yet. On Saturday, we went to Permerand and did some look ups and had a great finding day. We found a lot this day and it was the most beautiful weather outside. I feel bad for you all in Utah with snow! Dont worry, this place gets worse in Jan, and Feb. I'm not excited haha. On Sunday, we went to the Church. Elder Yocom and I had to suprise teach the investigators class. We had no idea haha. It went super well though! Revalino came to church finally! I sat next to him in Sacrament Meeting. There was a talk about finding answers through prayer and Revalino loved it. The following talk was about how the wards new goal is 250 new members by 2017. Revalino said "Wow" then looked at me and said "I'm going to be one of them :)"Holy Freaking Cow! My heart pounded and I was sooooo happy. Things like this remind me why I am here! He is so happy, quiting smoking, and wants to change his life. I'm so happy for him. We are going to hopefully baptize him on January 19th! What a great day. We had to do Weekly Planning on Sunday as well so we went home and did that. So awesome. Today, we helped someone move and then shopped now here. It was fun helping them move, even on PDay. This last week was great.
I hope you all had a great week as well. I'm sure you all did! This whole mission thing is going fast. Now over 5 months! Thats pretty crazy! It was a good week, but also a very hard, distracting week. I just need to remember why I am here and that I was called here by God. I was reminded that today. We were in a members cars coming back from service. I looked out over the fields with cows and sheep with canals and blue skies. Then all of the sudden I see a beautiful windmill and I thought "This is the only place for me". Confirmed. I'm so glad to be here. I have learned so much and I'm so grateful for it. It is hard, and I sometimes wonder if I will ever be a normal human again, but that doesnt matter. This is my calling now! I love you all so much, I'm grateful that you love me! Please send me letters! PS: Elder Yocom and I are staying together next transfer :) 

Fijne Week Verder,
Elder Elkins

No comments:

Post a Comment