Monday, March 3, 2014

Hey Everyone! I hope that you all had a great week. I sure did! Not much different than other weeks, but that's the reason that is was good ;) I got a new companion, Elder Enslow, and we are going to have a lot of fun. He is a super good missionary and I'm super excited to learn a lot from him! We have already worked hard, and make some great goals for this next transfer. It was way sad to say goodbye to Elder Yocom. Literally teared up at the Station when he had to go to Belgium, but I'm almost positive that we will be companions again down the road. He will do great in Belgium and I am not worried about him at all! The weather is getting a lot warmer. Today was like 55 degrees and the flowers are beginning to bloom! So much for the terrible winter eh!? I'm not complaining :) Well, here is my week!
Monday- PDay, not much done. Just chilled and got Yocom ready to leave. He didn't want to do to much except shop, so that is what we did! We went to Gerphal and Annickas at night to have family night with them. That was a blast!
Tuesday- District meeting, then it was Yocom and I's last day together! Holy cow! So sad, but honestly we both feel that we'll be back together so it wasn't to bad. I'm trying not to keep my hopes up. After that, I honestly cannot remember what we did, because the weeks get so mashed together, but I'm sure we found and then went to the De Nijs' at night. They make the lekkerste food in the world. That was great! Fun day.
Wednesday - TRANSFER DAY! We had to meet everyone at the Leiden station and meet our new companions. I said bye to Yocom before he left, and that was super sad, but I saw a bunch of other friends there so that was great, and I met my new best friend! My companion, Elder Enslow. I had to wait 3 hours before he came, but it was fine! We got all settled in, then went straight to work and contaced and looked up a bunch of former investigators. We had a lesson with an inactive and that went great. For dinner, we went to the church for wijk eten and ate with the whole ward. I love those. We do them every two weeks. Good day.
Thursday - Studies, then throughout the day, we did look ups, and taught Marcel. He is the old guy who is crazy. We dropped him, but felt that we should stop by and see how he is doing. We asked if he wanted to quit smoking and he said that he wants to, so we are going to meet with him this week to make a plan with him this week. That will be interesting, because he has been smoking since he was 7. Honestly, who does that...? Oh yeah, the Dutch!!!! Gosh, oh well. ;) We did other look ups, and found, then came back for dinner and did more look ups after dinner trying to make appointments. 
Friday - Another normal day. We went to Anna and Lumas after lunch to see how everything is going. Anna is still having problems with her Breast Cancer and they might have to do more surgey because she has a lot of water created from the wound I guess...? They are doing great though and are always so fun. They hate the fact that I love to shoot animals aka hunt and fish. The Dutch honestly have no idea ;) We then had weekly planning. Elder Enslow and I went so hard and made some great goals to improve our work and the success here in Zaandam. I'm super excited. Great day. We did a lot of finding today too, and found a great potential named Muhammed ;) So many of those here haha. 
Saturday - Normal day, again! :P Nothing too special happened, except we had some cool conversations on the street with people. We looked up a potential but they couldn't meet then. I wish I had more to tell you about today, but honestly, we just did look ups and went around our whole area today. Still fun! I learn a lot from Elder Enslow because he loves movie making and history of certain movies. Jaws has a really cool history. I suggest you all look it up ;) 
Sunday - Church, then did more look ups, then we went to Lucky's for dinner. These appointments are always fun. She is such a fun lady and we went with the 3 Amsterdam Elders. They are in a three some for now until Elder Sosa goes home :'( He leaves next week. I'm gonna miss him! My Chilean home boy. He makes rap music and beats. He is literally pretty famous too. DJ Urba is his name ;) So sick! We were supposed to have an appointment with Aspacia after, but she ended up not being able to and wij moesten haar afspraak verzetten maar komt goed. 
Well, that is my week. This mission is not easy, as you guys can tell. There is a reason that the MTC concidered this mission the 3rd hardest in the world. I'm so grateful for it though, because I have learned a lot about myself, and others. It is very sad to see all these sad people here in this country who don't believe in God. Most of these people have no conception of what a God means or what that idea can do for them in their life, nor do they care quite frankly. It is hard sometimes to see that. I had a really cool experience about this. We were walking down the street and I saw a mom pushing her daughter in the stroller. I stop her, and ask her " What do you think about prayer... what does that mean for you?" She looked at me, with a light in her eyes and said " actually, I prayed for the first time in my life last night, because I have been having a hard time with my mother lately. " It meant the world for me, because of my testimony, to be able to respond and tell her that I know the God heard her prayer, and that everything will be ok. That was a real eye opener to me about how grateful I truly am to be a member of this church. Not only to be a member, but to also be able to believe that God exists and that he listens and answers my prayers. It is the hardest thing in the world, to get these Europeans to listen to us, but if I can get one person, every day to listen to the message that Elder Enslow and I share, then it is all worth it. I love this gospel. I'm so grateful for it, and I'm grateful to have parents who raised me, and my family right to be able to share it with other people. Thanks Mom and Dad! Love you! :) 
Well, that is my message this week. I love you all and I hope to continue to get emails from you all. Have a great week. I pray for you always!

Elder Elkins

No comments:

Post a Comment