Thursday, September 11, 2014

July 22, 2014

I cannot believe that it was one year ago, that I entered into the MTC. Where does time go? Now I am sitting on a French keyboard in Belgium, speaking Dutch. It is amazing how time really is put into an eternal perspective it feels like out on a mission. I remember after taking the pictures at the temple right before the MTC, we had some time to spare before I had to be dropped off. We went to a church parking lot and talked as a family for a minute, and Dad told me to give him the go when I was ready. It was at 12:42 when I remember looking at the clock and saying LETS DO IT! I remember those butterflies, but also the comfort that I received from Heavenly Father knowing that I was going to be ok, but it would be a ride. And boy, has it been a ride. :) I am in tears right now thinking about it, and I have had a lot of time to reflect on this past year of my life over the past week. It has honestly been a real struggle for me to grasp the fact that it has been a year, and I only have one more, but I am grateful that I get blessed with one more. My mission has affected me, more than I have been able to affect the lives of others. It has gave me a perspective on things that I hope to be able to carry with me throughout the rest of my life. Being able to serve with the missionaries I am able to serve with, and be able to be companions with one of my best friends is a blessing just of itself, but there is so much more to the time I have had out here, and I am excited to tell you all about it, and show you in under a year. I'm grateful for this past year, but I look forward to the next, and making it even better than the first. I have seen things and experienced things out here, that I know I couldn't have experienced or seen at home, or even in other missions. It keeps me going, every day, with a positive attitude. I love it.
One of these miracles that I have cherished just happened this past Sunday. Before I get there, two weeks ago, Elder Holt and I were waiting for a bus to come, and a lady approached us. She asked who we were and we answered. We taught her about Joseph Smith and the Restoration of the Gospel for a minute, and then we had to go. We gave her our number and church address, because she was hesitant to give us hers. I knew that all we could do then, was pray for her, because nobody approaches us like that. Hardly ever. We knew that Heavenly Father had something in store for her. Come to find out, she went straight to the church, where, luckily, the other Elders were. They answered more of her questions, and offered a Book of Mormon. She didn't take it, but said "maybe I will see you all later", then walked away. This past Sunday, she showed up to church, and that was a proof to me, yet again, that Heavenly Father answers prayers. The wonderful members of this branch spoke with her, and invited her to meet with them and the missionaries. We sat down in a classroom, and she asked questions. I have never seen anything like it. She was explaining her beliefs and telling us that no other religions believe her and tell her she is crazy. One of them being about the Spirit World. She asked what we believe, and we told her exactly what she believes. That was really cool for her, and she started crying. Then, she went on to why were are here on the earth. She explained that she thinks we are all here to learn, receive bodies, and grow, so we can eventually die, and have knowledge and experience. Is that not exactly what we believe? The Light of Christ is real, and there are people who are literally "Searching for the truth, but they no not where to find it". She told us that she has been busy looking for the true church for 9 years, and she doesn't believe in that it was coincidence that she met us. It will be interesting to see where that goes.
On Saturday, we had two more baptisms. They were the baptisms of the other two Elders, but we taught them a ton as well. Francois is from Togo, and is hilarious. He only speaks French, but we find ways to communicate with him. We always taught him with a member who could translate for us. Zacharia is the other. He is an 11 year old boy. Biggest stud in the world, and is the definition of what every parent wants there 11 year old son to be. He is such a nice kid and so friendly to everyone. His mom was recently baptized, just 4 weeks ago. It is really special for them, and they will be amazing members!
Another Miracle that happened this week was on Thursday. We visited an inactive member who promised the members two years ago that she would come back to church after she turned 65. She turned 65 on Friday, so we took her a card on Thursday and got let in to teach her. She told us she was coming to church and that was really cool. We had a really powerful chat with her. She asked us, Remind me what the church is about. Just then, I felt really inspired to ask her why she joined the church in the first place. She started to explain a dream she had 35 years ago meeting with the Elders. One night, she dreamt of her Father, who past away right before her dream, standing in a baptismal font with statues of oxen beneath. The next appointment, the Elders taught baptisms for the dead. She then knew her answer and got baptized. She then explained how it brought so much joy to her, and how she always just wanted to help others and support others in their trials, and to serve God. Once again, pulled out Mosiah 18 and layed the baptismal covenant out. She cried, and cried, and said, "That's what it's about". It is really cool to see how Heavenly Father inspires us to ask Inspired Questions. By asking questions, lets the questioner answer their own question. Super cool experience.
The work is going strong here in Genk. We are looking up a lot of former investigators, and traveling long distances to do it. It is all worth it, because we are being blessed. I'm learning a lot this transfer, and becoming humbled at the same time. I'm super grateful for that.
I want to thank you all for your support and love over this past year. It makes me so happy to hear that you all are healthy, and staying safe, and making good choices. Continue to do so, and I will see you in 11 months! Love you all. Have a great week, and find someone to serve this week! :)
Alma 26:12
Elder Elkins

No comments:

Post a Comment