Saturday, February 7, 2015

February 2, 2015

Hey guys! Good to be back with ya. What a great week we had!

Like I always say, it was a busy week! We had a lot to prepare for, and do this past week, but everything went well. With Zone Training last Wednesday, we had a lot of last minute things that we needed to put together. We were all ready to go, and Wednesday came around. We got to the new chapel in Zoetermeer, and got things ready. It was about 9am, and the Training started at 10am. We got a call from an Elder in our Zone saying that they would be late, due to train problems, along with another companionship, and wouldn't make it until lunch. The problem was, we asked this Elder to play a part in our Training, which would happen during the segment before lunch. With Zone Training, everything needs to be planned out and needs to lead into the next segment and they kinda just builds upon each other. We had to make a decision. We decided at the last minute to do what we planned for after lunch, before lunch, and what we planned before lunch, after lunch. We shifted everything around, which was crazy! It was definitely all led by the Spirit, but to be honest, during the whole meeting, a lot of things went away from how we planned it. Everything worked out, and the Spirit was there, so I know it went great. It was just another lesson and testimony growing experience of how everything happens the way the Lord wants it to happen. We had to rely on the Spirit to keep everything on track, and help us with the time schedule. This transfer, we are focussing on Ch. 10 in PmG which is Improving Teaching Skills. Our training was centered on this, and we created a Zone Vision that will help us increase our Faith and Spirit in teaching, rather than relying on our own personal skills. After reading and pondering on Ch.10, we came to the conclusion that we need to use the Spirit more in our teaching. Relying on Him to help us "hear what isn't being said", ask good questions, and teach from the scriptures. In Alma 4:19, it explains that Alma went and preached the word by "bearing down in pure testimony". This is exactly how we can utilize the Spirit. By bearing testimony, we invite the spirit to touch the hearts of those that we speak to. Read this amazing quote by Brigham Young. It really confirmed the truthfulness of this concept to us. 

“If all the talent, tact, wisdom, and refinement of the world had been sent to me with the Book of Mormon, and had declared, in the most exalted of earthly eloquence, the truth of it, undertaking to prove it by learning and worldly wisdom, they would have been to me like smoke which arises only to vanish away. But when I saw a man without eloquence or talents for public speaking, who could only say, ‘I know by the power of the Holy Ghost that the Book of Mormon is true, that Joseph Smith is a Prophet of the Lord,’ the Holy Ghost proceeding from that individual illuminated my understanding, and a light, glory, and immortality were before me. I was encircled by them, filled with them, and I knew for myself that the testimony of the man was true”

We can develop all the skills necessary to be incredible missionaries, and that is what we are going to do, but to be our best and touch as many hearts as possible, we need to 'bear down in pure testimony'.

We were on exchanges on Thursday, and Friday with the District Leaders in our Zone. They are both really great, and we enjoy working with them. I was in Zoetermeer on Thursday working with Elder A, and we were invited to come help a recent convert on his farm the next morning at 7am. We woke up, snow on the ground, and bike over to his house. He is a typical dutch farmer. Just a big hick haha. So funny! He has 72 cows, and we were able to feed them thousands and thousands of sprouts, grain, and hay. We even had the opportunity to milk them! It was one of the best ''exercise/study'' sessions of my mission haha. I really learned a lot about farming, and I think I want to change my ambition of become a doctor, to becoming a farmer. I look forward to it ;)

Heavenly Father is revealing His will to me. I know what I need to do and become these last 5 months of my mission. I am so grateful for the Holy Ghost, and one of the biggest blessings that I will take home with me after my mission, is knowing how the Spirit works with me. What an incredible blessing it has been to learn how God answers my prayers.

I love you all, and am grateful for all that you do! Thanks for being great. Have a great week!

Liefs,
Elder Elkins




No comments:

Post a Comment