Thursday, May 28, 2015

April 20, 2015

Zwolle, Netherlands. My new home. I have only heard good things, and I am going to make my best to make this city live up to it. It will be good.

With transfers happening last Wednesday, and leaving what I felt like home, I am now in Zwolle. It is gorgeous! Such a cool little city, with students everywhere. This is a student city, so that is actually a big difference from any of my other cities. There are students everywhere! It is pretty fun. We had a pretty good week. The adjustment truly caught me off guard. I didn't realize how different my life has been the past year of my mission being a leader, but it truly is different. I have felt like a new missionary coming into the mission field. Getting used to the missionary lifestyle is hilarious! I catch myself worrying or stressing about things that I don't need to worry about anymore, which is actually a blessing!

My new companion is Elder Kartodirjo. This is his last transfer on his mission. He is from Surinam, which is a country right above Brazil. He has too much swag to handle, so maybe I can take some from him. We have a good time.

I came to this city, and of course, don't know my way around, or don't have much say in the planning, so I have just been doing my best, and following my companion around. On Thursday, we went and played soccer with a recently added investigator named Gerson. He is really cool. He is 25, and a huge soccer player. I had the weirdest feeling when I met him. I shook his hand, and instantly knew why I was called to Zwolle. I look forward to working with him.

The branch here is a lot of fun. About 35-40 active members. I got to know a few of them, but at church, they all wanted to make appointments with us, so now we have dinner provided all week, and lunch on some days. It was actually a big suprise on Sunday. They called an ''emergency unit conference''. The Stake President came, and stood at the podium, and read a letter from President Monson, saying that Branch Zwolle is becoming Ward Zwolle, so now it is a ward. That was really cool for everybody, and now there is a new Bishop. Not bad for a first week in a new ward. We had four investigators at church, and they all seem to have the same problem. They aren't married, but live with their boyfriend/girlfriend. That is a major hump that we need to get over. They all know it is true, and want to be baptized, but have to wait until they are married. We will work with Gerson to help him be baptized in the next few weeks though.

I am glad that I can be here. I loved Den Haag, but this is where I need to finish my mission. We are the only companionship in the ward, and this is my first time on my mission having that. We are spoiled, and have a lot of work to do. I have never been more motivated to work and baptize than I am now. It is going to be great.

I have been reading a lot in the earlier chapters in Alma. It is incredible to me how applicable it is to our daily lives. I learn new things everyday. I love the Book of Mormon.

As your mission winds down, you think a lot about who you were, have become, and one day will be. There is a scripture that I LOVE and it has really helped me as I ponder these things.
            
  3 Nephi 27:27 "... Therefore, what manner of men ought ye to be?
Verily I say unto you, even as I am."

I think we often confuse ourselves into being something that we are not, or striving for something that we think we should be, when we learn clearly in the scriptures who we truly should strive to be. Just as Jesus Christ is. How do we do that? I think Preach my Gospel chapter 6 is a wonderful place to start. I would highly recommend it :)

I love you guys. Thank you for everything! I hope that you have a great week, and that you read, pray, and serve daily.

Liefs,

Elder Elkins


No comments:

Post a Comment