Thursday, May 28, 2015

May 11, 2015

What a week!

With Mothers day and Skype behind us yesterday, there isn't much for me to share with the family in this email, but we had an incredible week.

Sometimes I sit and wonder why my mission has been soo good. I have been spoiled, to be honest. I can't complain. The Lord continues to show His hand in this work. I love it. This past week, we wanted to work hard so that we can set up success for the next transfer. Knocking doors, riding bikes in-between look ups, street contacting, travel contacting, all in the rain. It's all part of this wonderful work. We honestly got hit hard with rain this week. I remember at one moment this week, I believe it was on Tuesday, we were having a hard day. We traveled to a beautiful city called Kampen, and wanted to look up a couple of former investigators. We got to the first one, and they weren't home. It started to pour... We knocked some doors, and were hoping that we would get let in because they feel bad for us, but nobody did that. We got on our way to our second look up, which was about a 30 minute walk, and he wasn't home. I remember thinking in my head, "Well, since it is raining, we can take shelter and plan until it passes, or we can go visit a cool member", but it hit me. We need to show the Lord that we have Faith, and that we will do His work no matter what. We got on the doors, and people still weren't letting us in. It was just one of those experiences that you dwell on, knowing that you made the right choice, but that you hope something will come of it. It sure did. On Sunday, we had 7 investigators in church. One of which is a former investigator who showed up, and said he wants to prepare to be baptized, and another was a random lady that walked in saying that she googled the church and wanted to see how it was. This is why we knock doors in the rain.

I am grateful for experiences like these, because they shape the course for the rest of your life. Sometimes we are faced with opportunities in life to make a choice. You can make the right choice, which is sometimes harder, or you can make the wrong choice, and might not have a consequence. If we wouldn't have knocked doors, I don't think we would have been punished, but by choosing to do so, and proving our Faith, I know that the Lord is blessing us with success. This taught me a good life lesson.

I love my mission. It is hard, but well worth it.

I love you Mom! I am grateful that we were able to Skype for a bit yesterday! You all look so happy and healthy, and I felt like I was at home for a minute! :) I thought last night, would I be here on my mission if I didn't have my Mom? Probably not. My mission has made the biggest impact of any choice I have made in my life, and that comes back to my Mom. I love you! Have a great week!

Love,
Elder Elkins

No comments:

Post a Comment