Thursday, May 28, 2015

March 30, 2015



We had Zone Training on Wednesday last week, which kept us busy on Monday and Tuesday preparing. I like Zone Trainings to be unique and memorable everytime, so we had to make sure that we could do that. Sometimes they just get so repetative. We have a really cool Zone Vision this transfer called "Learning the Language of the Spirit". We are focussing on the receiving revelation, so of course, that was our Zone Training as well. We started off our Zone Training by singing "Let it Glow". It is from Disneys famous "Let it Go" from Frozen, but we made our own version about the Zone Vision and the Holy Ghost haha. Honestly super hilarious, and I can finally now say that I have sung in front of an audience, into a microphone. Singing is not my forte. Man, I learn a lot about doctrine as I study for presentations, but also a ton from my companion and our Sister Training Leader. They are both incredible, and we worked hard to make it worthwhile for everybody. I presented on prayer, and focussed on the three basic steps of prayer. We teach our investigators to 1. Address Heavenly Father, 2. Express the feelings of your heart, 3. Close in the name of Jesus Christ.... This got me thinking as I was preparing. Sure we can teach it, and we are all probably master prayer teachers, but do we all correctly understand why, and how we correctly do these things? I read in the Bible Dictionary under prayer, and it said this "As soon as we learn the true relationship in which we stand toward God (namely, God is our Father, and we are His children), then at once prayer becomes natural and instinctive on our part. Many of the so-called difficulties about prayer arise from forgetting this relationship." This just confirmed to me that I needed to focus on our relationship with God, and who He really is, and who we really are, and the why of prayer. It is crazy how you just get filled with ideas as you do study, and prepare. That is revelation. I then focussed a little bit on Alma 37:37, and talked about how our actual prayer should be a counsel, and what it truly means to close in the name of Jesus Christ. (John 15:7). It was really cool, and I learned a ton! Prayer is truly amazing.

Think about it. We all have a cell Phone. I have though a lot about a cell-phone and it's purpose. In high school, I would call my dad if I needed help with something, if I had a question, or just if I wanted to chat. Why did my dad want me to have a cell-phone?  Probably for the same reasons. He wanted to make sure we were in contact so he could answer my needs, and also just so he can reach me whenever... This got me thinking... Why did God give me prayer? He didn't have to, much like my Dad didn't need to give me a cell phone. So why? He wants me to be able to call him when I need help with something, or if I have a question, or just to chat even. Why does God want us to have a prayer? So also wants to make sure we are in contanct, so he can answer my needs, commune with me whenever, and direct me in life. Not only this, but we learn in the scriptures that we are His children, and that we are also His friends. How much do our parents/children and friends mean to us? That is exactly how God feels with us. He wants us to pray, just as much as we should want to.... In another case, my Dad would take my cell phone if I got bad grades, did something I wasn't supposed to, or any other reason, and at that moment, I realized how much I loved my phone and the luxury... What if God took prayer? Would it be then that we realize the luxury?

I have many weaknesses, but God is really good at revealing them to me and how I can overcome them. This is exactly what my Dad would do for me as well. Sports, school, and life in general. I feel that I have come to know God on my mission. I know who He is, and I better understand my relationship with Him.

I miss you guys! Looks like Hadley is growing quick. She is darling. Shout-out to Parker for being a stud. I am proud of you man, you have no idea.

I had a really good week. Missonary work is going, but I am just enjoying my time in my favorite city. I have only two more transfers left, and I will be off to a new city in a couple of weeks. I truly look forward to hitting the streets, finding, teaching, and baptizing. I love you all so much. Thank you for all that you do! I hope that you have a great week!

Elder Elkins


No comments:

Post a Comment