Monday, November 3, 2014

September 15, 2014

This was a week that I hope to never forget. It was another really good one. I know I say that every week, but that is just because it gets better and better. Of course there are hard times, and struggles, but just the overall experience is something that outweighs the rest. I love it, and I love everything that I get to see and be a part of every week. A new transfer is beginning this week, and I will be staying in Genk with Elder Clement. I am grateful that I will be able to work with him again, because he teaches me a lot. We are becoming better friends and figuring each other out as well, so I feel like I would've been cheated if we got split up. Of course, every companion can't be perfect, but as long as we try to connect with them on any level, help them with anything, and be open to anything that they have to say, everything works out. I think that the most important thing about a companionship is to realize one thing. No matter how long you have been out, or what situation you are in, you ALWAYS need to look at your companion an learn from him. Go to him for advice, follow his counsel, and be his friend. That is something I have learned on my mission. It is sometimes still a struggle, but what a blessing it is to be able to get to know so many different people at once.
Elder Clement and I had a great week, especially on Tuesday I was on exchanges in Leuven with Elder Steenblik. I love him! He is so fun to be around, and is such a great missionary. A member asked us to come on a bike ride with her, and her ex-husband who is an inactive member and has depression. She paid for our bikes, and begged us to just go enjoy some of the day with them. I was not going to say no to that. We took a long bike ride through the Belgian fields, passing castles and old churches, all while having such a great time. I remember thinking to myself at that moment how blessed I am to be serving here. It was a great day, perfect weather, and we had  the opportunity to help an inactive member and befriend him. She even bought us great ice-cream ;) Elder Steenblik and I taught a lesson at night to their 12 year old investigator, whose mom is a less active. It was a fun appointment, but just a fun, memory building exchange.
On Wednesday, we taught Freddy, and got his baptismal form in order, and comforted him with some struggles. We then headed off to Nederland! We were spending the night in Goude for the Mission Conference that we had on Thursday with Elder Ballard. We stopped in Rotterdam, in my old city, and ate dinner with Oma Croese! How fun was that!? My Grandma from Rotterdam. I love her haha. It was fun to sleep over in Goude as well. Thursday came around, and we made our way to the big Zoetermeer chapel. Of course, Elder Yocom had a seat reserved for me, and we enjoyed the whole day together. What a fun day it was, and I can tell you how spiritual it was. As soon as Elder Ballard entered the room, I knew that he was an Apostle. He is such a small, but powerful man. I felt his love and encouragement beaming from his body as he spoke to us, and also two members of the 70 who were there. Elder Halstrom from the 70 also gave a great little speech. This was the first time that the whole mission has been together on one day since I have been here. It was so fun seeing all of my friends, and old friends from high school all in one place. I will try to get my hands on the Davis picture that we took, as well as my MTC group picture. It will be fun this week as well, as two more Davis students come into the mission. Shoutout to Elder Morrell! ;)
We traveled home with the Zone Leaders in their car, which still took 4.5 hours. It took us 7 hours by train the day before haha. Crazy! The Zone Leaders came to give Freddy his baptismal interview, so they also spent the night with us. Elder Muse and Elder Bosco. Muse is a good buddy, and he goes home this week, and Bosco is one of my best friends from the MTC, so it was amazing to spend time with them! It was just a fun week. On Friday, we taught a lesson to Freddy again, and taught other lessons to other investigators we have. Freddy has been quitting smoking, and we just went in there to tell him how serious his baptismal covenant is. The Spirit was guiding us, so we got down to business. We asked him to give up his cigarettes to us, and because he keeps them in his pocket just for the safety that he knows he has them if he needs to smoke. He hasn't smoked in a week prior to this. Just as we asked him, a newspaper came through the door hole, and it was titled "An article to a healthier life". He gave up his cigarettes.
To top this week off, Freddy was baptized on Saturday! How special was this. He is such an amazing man, and is literally changing his life. Such a special experience for me to be a part of. I will share more about it next week, when I have more time, but just know that he was prepared by Heavenly Father, and that he is a kingdom builder. I love him!
I had a good, happy week. The Lord is blessing me, but trying me at the same time. I learn everyday, and I am grateful for that. I love you all, and I hope that you all have a great week.
Go Cougs and Go Ty...
Alma 26:12
Elder van Elkins



No comments:

Post a Comment