Monday, November 3, 2014

September 8, 2014

Well, that was the fastest week in a long time. What happened? haha. I can't believe it. We had a super good week here in Genk. Miracles are still flowing in, but that is just because Europe is opening up. The work in Europe in general is soaring, and it is soo cool to be a part of and witness. I love it! This transfer has been weird, because I have been on exchanges a lot. I hardly have time to get to know my actual companion it feels like! Super funny haha, but I love it! On Wednesday, I was with Elder Claflin. He lives in our four man, and is one of my best friends out here on the mission. We had such a fun day, and taught a new investigator who is 16 years old. He is such a stud, and took us out to get sandwiches, drinks, then we went and bought the best ice cream in the world. He lives in Sint Truiden, the fruit capital of Belgium, and his parents are fruit farmers. They make a ton of money farming peers, apples, and corn, and his Dad is also a cook, so we will go back next week to eat with them. He is a really cool kid, loves soccer, and is so nice. Claflin and I had the funnest day of my mission. We did a lot of work, and just had fun with it. I haven't laughed so hard, ,or long in a long time. Felt good, and it was nice to just enjoy everything. Kids were chasing us in batman, and superman suits, and Claflin and I went along with it, and pretended that we were the "spiritual police". They loved it. What a fun day! Thursday, I was on Exchanges with Elder Losee in Genk. He is also in my group, and we had a super good day. Last week, we agreed with Freddy that we would teach him everyday last week in order to support him, and prepare him to be baptized this week. Losee and I went over there to teach him Tithing and Fasting, when in reality he already knows them, because he knows everything from our church from the internet. He has such a conviction of this gospel that nothing will stop him from getting baptized. He is an answer to prayers of the members here in Genk. Totally normal, classy, 49 year old Belgian. So amazing! It was a really good lesson, and he loves that he can contribute to Gods kingdom. What a good example to me. Freddy is a huge miracle, and I wish you guys could all experience what I do with him. Let me tell you, Heavenly Father is preparing him for big things. I am excited! I challenged him to completely quit smoking by Sunday, and to fast about it on Sunday. He had a really good experience with that, but quitting smoking is tough for him. He wants to and desires to, but he has been since he was 14, so it is so hard, but he is going to be baptized on Saturday! I am so excited! What a good guy, with a sincere heart, and an honest desire.
Friday, I was in Geel with another Elder, and we had a very special day where we taught three lessons, and they were all very spiritual. Two of them were with investigators who were just stuck at certain corners, but we had great appointments with them and were able to get them progressing more. Answered questions, and provided the spirit in the lesson. That is all we need to do! It is fun to be able to go on exchanges, see cities of other Elders, and be able to help them with their investigators. I love it so much!
Saturday, I finally came back with Elder Clement. It is crazy how much time we spend apart, but it is ok. I don't mind it! We had District Leader Council, then came back and weekly planned, and taught a lesson at night to a new investigator from Congo, named Forsi. He is such a stud. 30 years old, student, and has been here for 1.5 years. He only speaks English, so I was excited to teach an English lesson, but little did I know, it was the hardest thing I have done in a while haha. I was struggling so bad, but it is good that Elder Clement spoke better gospel English than me, so he could help. It was embarrasing how bad my lesson English was and how many words I forgot. Clement even caught me speaking English with Dutch grammer. No wonder Forsi couldn't understand me sometimes. What was cool, is that the Spirit was present, and we invited him to be baptized on October 25. He accepted, and so now we are work with him for that. The Lord is blessing us, and it is so fun! I love it.
I have to go, because of lack of time, but I love you all. I miss you too, but I love it here and I will miss this all when it ends! Also, BYU wrecked. Go Cougs ;)
Have a great week.
Elder van Elkins

No comments:

Post a Comment