Monday, November 3, 2014

September 29, 2014

Belgium. I love it! This place is so different than the Netherlands, that it really makes you wonder if you are in the same mission. The people look drastically different, the food is not the same, the language is noticeably changed, and it just gives you a different "feel". I am grateful that I have the opportunity to be here for another transfer. Especially in Genk, where the Lord is pouring out blessings.
Let me start out by sharing my testimony of working with the Spirit. I was on exchanges on Saturday with and Elder, and I went into that exchange with one goal in mind; to use the spirit to gain his trust, and be his friend. I have learned that the best way to go throughout life, is by listening to the promptings of the spirit. I mean, who wouldn't want to have heavenly help in all that they do? We get to enjoy that as members of the church. Let me go further. It was a great day. We helped a family move, but it was a little strange. The people here are unorganized when it comes to these types of things. We pulled up, and everyone just ran into the house and stumbled upon their own feet. I felt like I was in an episode of Walking Dead where everyone is running away from zombies. I didn't even know where to begin, but it all worked out in the end, and we had a good day, after spending 6 hours with lovely people ;) We finally went home, and changed into missionary attire. Rushed to our appointment where we taught three recently baptized members how we receive Revelation, and how we should listen to the Spirit. It went really well, and we even showed a few mormon messages. After the lesson, we had to walk back to the bus stop. Took about 15 minutes. Me and this Elder just had a great chat, and I felt really, really inspired to just bear testimony, and answer some of this Elders questions that he had. After 10 minutes when our conversation ended, he told me that he received Revelation, and that some of his month old questions were answere, through my words. All because I was worthy of the spirit. This is what I am going to focus District Meeting on tomorrow as well. We are focussing this transfer on PmG chapter 2, how we can more effectively study. The most important thing for our studies, and to be successful missionaries, is learning, teaching, and serving with the spirit. I think this goes the same in normal life too. I would encourage you all to read in Preach my Gospel about the Holy Ghost. That was just a big experience for me, and I am grateful that the Lord used me to help someone, without me really even knowing it.
Another cool experience that we had this week, was when we taught our new investigators Ingrid, and her daughter Romy! Ingrid is 48, and Romy is 20. We met her a long time ago at a retail store. She approached us and told us and asked who we were. She told us that she never sees two young boys with smiles like that on their faces, especially in Belgium. She was curious. We told her we were from the church, and she went on to say that the only other person she knows who gives her the same feeling as us, is this man at the head of a foundation she sponsors. It is called Forever, our of Arizona. She said he is a mormon, then asked if we have heard of the mormons. Of course we have! We then offered to swing by and teach her a thing or two about the mormons. We finally had the chance to do that this week! How amazing was this. In planning, I thought back to some of my most powerful first lessons of my mission. I remembered a time when we taught the lesson, and when we got to Joseph Smith, we threw in the Restoration film. It was very powerful, and gave us both an opportunity to pray for the investigators. We decided to do the same. We got to her house, and it is beautiful! Holy cow. We got in, sat down, and she wanted her daughter to listen. She said, so tell me, who are you? She is the nicest lady in the world btw. We started our lesson, then we both felt really impressed to focus the lesson on families. I showed her a picture of my family that I carry everywhere with me, and she started crying. She said we all had the light, and that she wants the same for her family. Long story short, she now has a baptismal date, along with her daughter. The film we watched during the lesson was perfect. How amazing was that. I know that the Spirit testified to her, because I felt it the whole lesson. It was great. She has another son who is 23, and he is soo cool! He was there after, and we will teach him next time.
Those were just a couple of experiences of our week. I am grateful for what I learn everyday. I have a companion who helps me be my best, and teaches me daily as well. I have been very humbled since I have been called as District Leader, and I am grateful for that. I want you to all strive this week to feel the spirit DAILY. If you don't feel the spirit everyday, then you are not allowing Heavenly Father to communicate with you. Let Him be in your life. It is a lot easier. I love you all, and I thank you for everything. Have a super great week, and I am excited to hopefully see pictures of two beautiful new twins next week! Good luck Anissa!
Love,
Elder van Elkins

No comments:

Post a Comment